Sunday, May 31, 2015

Words we love to hate

"There is so much hate in the world. People hate smoking, Starbucks, American Idol, air travel, bears, and people of all stripes, based on their race, sex, religion, sexual orientation, nationality, height, width, or favorite Beatle. As for me, I hate Johnny Depp (for his awful, cartoony version of Hunter S. Thompson) and pea soup (too many putrid bowls scarred my childhood).
But of all our prejudices, one of the strangest is surely word aversion, the odd phenomenon of people being grossed out, in an almost physical way, by certain words."   (from this link http://magazine.good.is/articles/why-do-we-hate-the-word-moist)

What words do you hate?  Listen this week as we talk about logomisia.  


2 comments:

  1. When I became an advice nurse 2 1/2 years ago, I had to start using a word I absolutely hated!!! "Phlegm" Ugg, I shuddered every time I had to say the word. I hate the word, I hate the spelling. I had to ask about it and chart it every work day! But what were my alternatives? Mucus? Sputum? All equally disturbing.
    On the flip side, two of my favorite words are "cookie" and "cute". They are fun to say and fun to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sputum just got added to my list. And I also love saying cute, cookie, cupcake, colorful. I wonder why I like hard C sounds so much.

      Delete